Join me as I try to be a Ninja, talk about martial arts, food, rave & rant and just think of all the about cool stuff of life

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's day

My father is one of the people who have influenced me the most. Maybe it is rather conceited of me to say this, but I am truly grateful for having such a great father (for lack of better words). I have a much better father than too many other people do, and that of course is a sad thing too (for the other people anyway). Had it not been for my father's influence, who knows what hell-hole I would be in today.

He and my mom of course- were my first teachers. He was my first and only sifu for the first 17 years of my life (minus my uncle - his brother, who is equally a father to me). It was he who instilled in me the love for martial arts and other sports like tennis, swimming, triathlons, and what not. And it's also always been him to be there to give me that kick in the butt when I needed it.

When I was 14 or 15 he got gravely ill and for about a period of 6 months after that I would wake up every morning wondering if he was still around. For four years after that his health was still quite bad and he just wasn't quite the same in a sense that he wasn't all over the place- running, teaching martial arts, managing our business, doing all these community projects, etc. But despite his not being able to reach the same physical capacity, he was and still is as sharp and witty as he ever was. Even in those times when we were all feeling in the lowest of low, he would crack jokes in the oddest times to bring a little ray of sunshine into our house.

Today he still isn't quite as physically active as he was, but being the warrior and commander that he is, he has mobilized armies of people- his old students, to help him continue teaching many people. There is so much more to say about him. His patience, perseverance, determination, wisdom, and kindness are constant inspirations for me. I can only hope to one day somehow become what he has wanted me to be all these years as a way of ever-thanks to him.

No comments: